Self-Promotion: How to Appropriately Show Off
Self-Promotion: How To Appropriately Show Off | Reason to Refresh Your Brand Identity – Number 4
Something has happened – you set out to achieve a substantial goal to grow your business – and you did it! This is the moment you can build on, ramp up and shout out to your customers (self-promote).
Now, how do you take advantage of this momentous occasion? You must let your audience know how or why this impressive thing you’ve done will be beneficial to them. I get that pounding your chest or tooting your own horn may feel self-serving, and too focused on you instead of on your customers. I agree that you should not be the hero in the story – your customer is. That said, you have to implement self-promotion for them to know your value, you just need to do it in the right way.
More often than you think, I find that businesses are humble when it comes to sharing their achievements. Consequently, you are afraid that marketing the amazing thing you’ve done will result in your audience being turned off. In order to overcome sounding overly boastful, or singing your praises – we simply need to present your considerable accomplishment in a way that further helps explain how you help your clients.
How to Thump Your Chest the Right Way
There are significant reasons to thump your chest – the right way – that will engage your audience. Here are some of the evolutionary and/or revolutionary things our customers have experienced over our 20 years that justified a well-earned shout out. Does one of these apply to you?
Changing the name of your brand, your product or your company
- Spinning your brand off from another company
- Merging with or acquiring another company
- Launching a new product or introducing a new business offering
- Expanding products or services, or refocusing your product on a new brand category
- Celebrating a milestone anniversary
- Earned industry recognition or won an award
- Changing the name of your brand, your product or your company
How Your Accomplishments Resonate With Your Customer
Most importantly, when sharing something your business has achieved (even an award from your industry) make sure to add the words “so that” to the sentiment. Then, follow up with a description of how your achievement helps your customers. We’ve helped dozens of customers spread the word – and in the right way. For example, here are some cases we’ve been a part of:
- Wind on the Wires changed their name to Clean Grid Alliance so that they could be even more effective in their efforts to bring tangible benefits to energy consumers they were not previously able to reach.
- Animal Humane Society was a merger of three animal welfare organizations. These organizations came together under a new brand so that with the combined resources and a unified mission, values and vision – they could do an even better job providing for all of the stages of an animal’s life.
And my own example:
- Sussner Design Company is currently celebrating our 20th year anniversary so that we can draw attention to our clients (where it belongs). Thanks to all the companies, organizations and individuals who have handed us the honor of working with them. All of these experiences help us to help serve our customers.
Check out our anniversary posts with the hashtag #SDCo20in19 on our social channels. Let me know what you think.
How To Celebrate a Product Launch, Brand Evolution, Anniversary Celebration
Here are a few of the tactics that have helped customers execute and self-promote these justified and well-earned shout-outs:
- Social media campaigns
- Promotional gift items, aka super cool swag
- Refreshed, re-energized brand identities
- Environmental graphics and signage
- Consumer Product Packaging
If you would like to grab a cup of coffee and talk about the extraordinary things you could be shouting out in an appropriate way, contact me at email@example.com. I believe that you deserve someone in your corner to help you and your brand stand out.
Here’s to your success!
P.S. For examples of the impact companies have realized after re-energizing their brand identity, visit the results page of our website or download “8 Reasons Refreshing Your Brand Identity Will Give You the Competitive Edge” for free.
One More Free Business Tip
P.P.S. I recently signed up for the daily videos from Business Made Simple Daily – these are quick and helpful tips from Donald Miller, the author of StoryBrand. His business tips are rooted in the StoryBrand framework, which, as a StoryBrand Certified Guide, I really appreciate.
After watching these for the past month, they are just too good not to share. Here’s the link to a video in the series that elaborates on the topic of self-promotion. It even explains how to write your bio on your website: How To Write An About Us Page That Makes Money. I just re-wrote my own bio following his advice – check it out here.
We are recognized as a Top Branding Agency on DesignRush